The Library Instruction Program’s mission is to promote and encourage the information literacy skills of students, faculty, and staff. In keeping with the University's goal of offering high quality programs, the Library Instruction Program is designed to make available opportunities for information literacy instruction to all students, faculty, and staff. The Library Instruction Program is continually evolving and changing in response to technological advances, changes in curriculum, and as a result of program evaluation.
The Library Instruction Program strives to provide services that promote awareness and effective use of information resources through both formal and informal instruction. The Library Instruction Program also endeavors to support users in developing information literacy skills, thereby laying the foundation for academic and professional success.
Information literacy is the ability to recognize an information need, locate relevant information resources, evaluate the information resources, and effectively use all types of information resources in a responsible way. The library instruction program strives to follow the American Association of College & Research Libraries’(ACRL) Information Literacy Standards for Higher Education and ACRL’s Objectives for Information Literacy Instruction: A Model Statement for Academic Librarian.
An information literate individual is able to:
- Determine the extent of information needed
- Access the needed information effectively and efficiently
- Evaluate information and its sources critically
- Incorporate selected information into one’s knowledge base
- Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose
- Understand the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information, and access and use information ethically and legally
Here are some of the services the librarians offer (see the tabs on this LibGuide for more information):
- Library Instruction sessions
- Embedded Librarians (online and/or face-to-face)
- Research Consultations
- Assignment Design Consultations
Library Instruction Request
Instructional Services Librarian
University of North Alabama
UNA Box 5028
Florence AL 35630